We’re always on the go. The industry in which we live and work in require us to be as time efficient as possible. The pressure and hassles of saving time has made us turn to the fastest way of doing virtually anything.
From spending money on things that make work easier to literally cutting time on leisure and investing the extra time for work. But all work and no play makes just about anyone a living zombie.
In our effort to make things faster, we have to make sure we don’t just cut corners. There are plenty of ways to increase the time you have and one of them is think ahead of time. Preparing the work for tomorrow today can be an effective means in not just giving yourself extra time but also in making sure you don’t drown in work should an unexpected event happen.
We at Health Ambition saw how most people aren’t eating breakfast anymore in an effort to save time but that’s not exactly healthy now is it? After all, breakfast is, if not the most, important meal of the day. Which led us to compiling not 5, not 10, not 15, but 35 quick and healthy breakfast meals for you to try.
These meals are guaranteed healthy, filling, and will definitely put the word “fast” back in breakfast.
1. 1-Minute Sausage & Cheese Omelet
via Go Grow Go
Seriously. This is as fast as it can get. Probably one of the go-to meals for those who are really in a hurry.
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp fully cooked sausage crumbles or patty cut in pieces
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Beat the egg and milk in a bowl until blended. Add sausage.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Push any uncooked eggs to the center of the bowl and cook for 15 seconds more.
- Keep cooking at 10 second intervals until the egg is cooked.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of cheese. Fold omelet in half and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
3. Easy Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
via Gimme Some Oven
Casserole for breakfast is about as meaty as breakfast can get.
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I prefer hot, but mild or sweet also work)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced (or 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained and diced)
- 6 eggs 1/3 cup milk
- 1 (20 ounce) bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper (optional topping: thinly sliced green onions)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the sausage to a medium saute pan. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, crumbling the sausage with a spoon as it cooks.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of sausage grease in the saute pan, discarding the rest.
- Add the onion and red pepper* to the saute pan, and saute for 5 minutes until cooked. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes until fragrant. (If using the jarred roasted red peppers, wait to stir them until after the garlic.)
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the mixing bowl with the sausage. Add the hash browns and 1 1/2 cups cheese to the mixing bowl with the sausage and veggies.
- Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and black pepper until combined. Then add them to the hashbrown mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes and the top of the potatoes begin to slightly brown.
- Remove and let the casserole rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve!
4. Citrus Berry Smoothie
If you can’t even chew your food, then just drink it. It’s filling and loaded with all sorts of nutritious fruits which can also perk you up.
- 1 cup durian
- 1 whole banana, peeled
- 1 whole apple red or green, peeled or not peeled
- a squeeze of lemon juice or kalamansi
- a thickener, such as ice or yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup a liquid to help blending, such as milk, water or juice
- 2-4 ounces a teaspoon of cinnamon or honey (optional)
- Place all the ingredients into blender and blend high until creamy and thoroughly mix.
5. Sausage, Egg, And Cheese Sandwich
No, this isn’t from McDonald’s but it certainly is healthier than what they usually serve.
- 8 oz pork sausage
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 English muffins, halved
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Form sausage into 4 patties. Cook in a large, non-stick sprayed skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes a side, or until golden brown and crisp. Place sausage patties on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.
- Drain fat from skillet then return to stove and turn heat down to medium. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl then pour into the skillet. Cook until top is nearly set but still glossy, then carefully fold eggs over in half. Remove from heat to finish cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk butter until creamy and smooth. Stir in the maple syrup. Toast the English Muffins.
- To assemble: Spread 1 tablespoon of maple butter on English Muffin, both halves. Place 1 egg on the bottom of a English muffin then top with cooked sausage patty and slice of cheese. Microwave for 20-30 seconds to melt cheese then cap with English muffin top.
- Continue making other sandwiches. Serve immediately.
6. Microwave 1-Minute Ham & Egg Breakfast Bowl
via Incredible Egg
Easy and quick to eat, this light meal serves as a proper filler for people on the go.
- 1 thin slice deli ham (1 ounce)
- 1 EGG, beaten
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- LINE the bottom of 8-oz ramekin or custard cup with ham slice, folding ham in half, if necessary. POUR egg over ham.
- MICROWAVE on HIGH 30 seconds; stir. MICROWAVE until egg is almost set, 15 to 30 seconds longer.
- TOP with cheese. SERVE immediately.
7. Bagel Gone Bananas
via Eating Well
Bananas are known to fill the stomach well. Match that with your favorite bagel and you have a quick but satisfying meal.
- 2 tablespoons natural nut butter, such as almond, cashew or peanut
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 whole-wheat bagel, split and toasted
- 1 small banana, sliced
- Stir together nut butter, honey and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide the mixture between bagel halves and top with banana slices.
8. Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
via All Recipes
Oatmeal and berries go hand in hand. Blend both with bananas and you have a fine breakfast smoothie.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 banana, broken into chunks
- 14 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- In a blender, combine soy milk, oats, banana and strawberries. Add vanilla and sugar if desired.
- Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
9. Pineapple-Raspberry Parfaits
The amount of ingredients + the simplicity of the process makes this quite a hearty meal for a smoothie.
- 2 cups (16 oz.) pineapple yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granola
- 1 can (1 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, mix pineapple yogurt, sugar, and ground cinnamon until combined.
- Spoon yogurt mixture into four small glasses or dishes.
- Top with pineapple, mandarin oranges, fresh raspberries, granola, and macadamia nuts.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes and enjoy!
10. Raspberry-Avocado Smoothie
via All Women’s Talk
Avocados are known to be quite a good source of good cholesterol and are high in fat. This makes the avocado a prime choice as part of a quick yet filling meal.
- 1 peeled and pitted
- 3/4 cup of orange juice
- 3/4 cup of raspberry juice
- 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries
- Place everything in the blender and blend until smooth.
11. Thermos-Ready Smoothie
via Eating Well
You can sip this one on the go!
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- Combine berries, banana, apple juice and tofu in a blender; blend until smooth.
12. Easy Vegan Breakfast Tacos
via Minimalist Baker
Tofu and Tacos in the morning? Busy day, here I come!
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (or sub guacamole)
- 1/2 cup salsa for serving (hot sauce also optional)
- 1 lime sliced, for serving
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Corn tortillas (2 per person)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp salsa
- 1 Tbsp water
- Wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and place something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet, while prepping toppings.
- Cook black beans in a small saucepan over medium heat until bubbly, then reduce heat to simmer and set aside.
- If unsalted/unseasoned, add a pinch of salt, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Add dry tofu spices + salsa to a small bowl and add enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and unwrap tofu. Use a fork to crumble.
- Once the pan is hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and the tofu. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes to brown. Then add seasoning and toss to coat. Continue cooking until browned and fragrant – about 5-10 minutes – stirring frequently. Set aside.
- To serve, warm tortillas in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel or in a 250 degree oven (optional).
- Top tortillas with tofu scramble, black beans, onion, avocado, cilantro, salsa, fresh lime juice and pomegranate arils (or desired toppings).
- Serve immediately with the best breakfast potatoes or fruit.
13. Basil Pesto & 6 Minute Egg on Toast
via Camille Styles
It’s actually healthier to boil an egg that it is to fry it. Put that on top of your toast and you got yourself a good breakfast meal in under 15 minutes.
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto (or store-bought)
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Fill a small saucepan with water (enough to cover two eggs). Bring water to a boil. In the meantime, fill a medium mixing bowl with ice water, set aside.
- Once water is boiling, carefully drop in two eggs using a slotted spoon. Set your timer for 6 minutes.
- Cook eggs in boiling water for exactly 6 minutes – set your timer!
- Remove and carefully add to ice bath. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, before shelling.
- Spread pesto over sliced toast. Cut soft-boiled eggs in half and place over pesto toast.
- Top with fresh basil leaves, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
14. Green Eggs and Ham Omelet
via Martha Stewart
Add color to your omelets with spinach!
- 2 cups tightly packed curly- or flat-leaf spinach, trimmed and washed (3 ounces)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 thin slices deli ham
- In a small nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon water over medium-high. Add spinach and cook, tossing, until completely wilted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a colander to drain, pressing out as much water as possible. Finely chop spinach; transfer to a medium bowl along with eggs.
- Whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper. Return skillet to heat and melt butter, tilting to coat pan; add egg mixture.
- Cook, stirring with a heatproof rubber spatula, until eggs begin to thicken, 30 seconds.
- With spatula, pull edges of omelet in toward center, tilting pan so uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- Cook until just set, 15 to 30 seconds. Arrange cheese and ham on top of omelet.
- With spatula, fold omelet in half. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
15. Carrot Spice Pancakes
Quick and healthy pancakes. It doesn’t get any better than that for a quick breakfast.
- 1¼ cup shredded carrot, packed
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg oil for frying
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 15-20 seconds. Blend until combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat, add about a teaspoon of oil to the skillet.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop to add the batter into your skillet.
- Wait 2-3 minutes or until you see little bubbles forming on your batter, flip pancake until other side is golden brown.
- Before you add a new batch to the skillet add oil again. Enjoy with warm honey or syrup.
16. The World’s Juiciest Veggie Burger
Who says burgers are exclusive for lunch? This early morning whopper is set to delight your senses in the fastest time possible.
- 2/3 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/3 Cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 pound Portobella Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Flax Meal
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked Beets
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil Coconut Oil
- 10-12 Slider Rolls Tomato Slices
- In a large pot, mix quinoa, water, lemon juice, paper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and the reduce heat to medium – low, and cook for 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Stir with a fork to fluff and let cool until able to touch it. In a food processor mix mushrooms, quinoa, fresh parsley flax meal and an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Blend until smooth with small chunks. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add beets and mash with a fork until full blended. Add olive oil and repeat.
- Heat a sauté pan with a small amount of coconut oil and heat on medium to medium high heat (oil should be lightly sizzling).
- Scoop out golf ball sized amounts of the mixture and place it on the pan.
- Using a spatula flatten patty, and let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it begins to crisp. Flip, and repeat.
- Makes 10-12 patties. Garnish with tomato and place on toasted slider buns.
17. Brown Sugar Apple, Wheat Berry, & Yogurt Parfaits
via Pinch of Yum
Another delicious parfait which mixes apples and wheat berries.
- ½ cup cooked wheat berries
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- ¾ cup lowfat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Mix all ingredients together and serve immediately.
18. Healthy Homemade Granola Parfait
A personal favorite, this healthy and scrumptious breakfast is for the health-savvy individual who needs a quick meal in the morning.
- 6 c. uncooked old fashioned oats
- 2 c. sliced almonds
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- 1 c. roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed (or more if you like it!)
- 1 Tbsp. wheat germ (or more if you like it!)
- ½ c. coconut oil, melted
- 1 c. honey
- Greek yogurt
- strawberries, sliced
- chopped dark chocolate, optional
- Mix first six ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt your coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Add the honey and mix. Pour over oat mixture and stir.
- Pour on a cookie sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes, then stir it and let bake for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let granola cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
- When ready to assemble, place yogurt in bottom of glass. Add a layer of granola, then chopped dark chocolate, then berries and repeat. Dig in and enjoy!
19. Simple Chia Pudding
via Simple Bites
Chia seeds have omega-3 infused in them. Combine that with vanilla, milk, and male syrup and you got yourself quite a sweet and healthy treat.
- 1/3 cup white chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients in a pint jar. Cover the jar with a lid and give it a vigorous shake.
- Chill for about an hour, then return to the jar and shake it up.
- Let chill for at least 4 hours and overnight is even better.
- Chia seeds will expand and turn into pudding the consistency of applesauce (it won’t get really thick).
- Serve cold with sliced fruit or toasted nuts on top.
20. Breakfast Popsicles
via Caramel Potatoes
This one requires to be prepared one night before but will surely have you smiling in the morning.
- Fruit, thin sliced
- Add a little yogurt to mold, slide fruit slices down the sides if you want them to show and look pretty.
- Add more yogurt and them more fruit until mold is full.
- Unmold and serve with granola if desired.
21. Freezer-Friendly Greens & Tofu Scramble Wrap
via Oh My Veggies
Get this ready in the freezer and you can have a quick breakfast wrap in the morning.
- 14 oz. firm tofu, pressed for at least 30 minutes then crumbled
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed & caps thinly sliced
- 3 c. torn kale, spinach, or chard leaves, tough stems removed
- salt + pepper to taste
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas
- Combine tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5-6 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in greens and tofu. Continue to cook, stirring often, until greens have wilted, 2-5 minutes. Divide greens and tofu onto each tortilla and fold like a burrito.
- To freeze, wrap tightly in a layer of plastic wrap and place wraps in freezer bag.
- To reheat, remove plastic and loosely wrap in paper towel. Microwave for about 1 minute on each side. If center is still cold, continue to microwave for 15 seconds at a time until heated through.
22. Back On Track Green Monster
via Oh She Glows
Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables out there so it’s a good idea to get yourself a good serving of the vegetable on a daily basis.
- 1 cup kale
- 1 large Gala apple (or other sweet apple), roughly chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Maple syrup, to taste
- 4-5 Ice cubes
- Protein powder, optional
- Place all ingredients except maple syrup and ice into a high-speed blender and blend on high until very smooth.
- Blend in ice and maple syrup to taste.
23. Ricotta and Honey Sandwich
Haven’t had a tasty ricotta in the morning before? Then check this one out!
- 2 slices oat bread or oatmeal bread
- 3 tbsp. ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. sourwood honey
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Lightly toast oat bread until just golden.
- Spread one slice with ricotta, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, and top with remaining slice of bread.
24. Quinoa Granola Bars
via Honestly Yum
Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains to date. And studies back that up quite well. Why not eat a good serving before you leave for work?
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup of coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- Flake sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast quinoa and oats in a pan over medium high heat until fragrant.
- Allow to cool and combine with cashew, almonds, coconut flakes, dried cherries, and flax seeds. In a small sauce pan, combine the honey, maple syrup, almond butter and coconut oil and heat until hot and melted.
- Pour into the bowl of ingredients and fold to coat evenly.
- Line a 9 1/2 x 13 1/2 pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture into pan and flatten with the back of a wooden spoon to spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are toasted. Sprinkle the tops with a little sea salt.
- Allow to cool entirely. Cut into rectangles. And if you’d like, dip the bottoms in some melted dark chocolate.
25. Peanut Butter & Berry Energy Wrap
You can’t really go wrong with a meal with peanut butter as an ingredient.
- 1 whole grain tortilla
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1 handful of berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc.) sliced almonds or crushed walnuts to sprinkle on top
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- agave syrup (optional)
- Lightly spread about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on the tortilla and top with banana slices, berries, nuts and cinnamon.
- Lightly drizzle some agave syrup over all the ingredients if you want more sweetness. Roll up into a wrap or burrito.
- Enjoy with a glass of cold almond milk.
26. Healthy Morning Muffins
via Martha Stewart
Requires a bit of preparation but it’s worth as try as this will definitely be both delectable and portable.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps. Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
27. Better Bacon-Egg-And-Cheese Sandwich
via Martha Stewart
Bacon and eggs are staple foods when it comes to breakfast meals. Have a good serving in the morning and you know you’re good to go.
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 large egg plus
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh goat cheese
- In a medium nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium until warmed through, 2 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to 1 slice toast. Season eggs with salt and pepper; add to skillet and cook until set around edge, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook 30 seconds. Fold into quarters and place on bacon; top with tomato and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread goat cheese on remaining toast, and sandwich.
28. Apple Peanut Butter Sandwich
via Cooking Stoned
Apples and Peanut Butter may not seem like a good pair…until you taste this!
- 2 small apples
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/8 Cup chopped pistachios
- 1 Tablespoon dried currants
- You can use any sorta apple here. If I was making a bunch of these, I would probably mix it up for variety, and you might want to adjust the ingredients accordingly.
- Trim the bottoms so the two apples sit flat and then cut them into three thick slices, leaving the top and stem intact. If you are serving this much later than when you prepare them, coat the slices with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- You are going to smear about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto each non-stemmed slice.
- Add the chopped pistachios to the bottom layer. Now continue with the currants on the next layer.
- Top it off! Enjoy!
29. Avocado Smoothie
via Martha Stewart
Some say avocados were meant to be blended into a smoothie. Maybe they’re right as this smoothie makes use of a lot of avocados and it just tastes great!
- 2/3 cup avocado
- Lemon juice
- Honey Ginger
- 1 cup ripe mango
- 1 cup ice Soaked chia seeds (optional)
- For a lusciously creamy smoothie, blend avocado (full of healthy fats and potassium) with lemon juice, honey, ginger, mango and ice.
- Extra credit: Stir in soaked chia seeds for an omega-3 boost.
30. Four-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars
via The Kitchn
It really is just 4 ingredients but you’ll feel quite full despite its small size.
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup pitted, chopped dried dates
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts — such as walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecans
- Grated nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9-x9-inch square baking dish with olive oil or butter.
- Peel the bananas and mash their flesh in a medium mixing bowl. Mash very thoroughly until no large chunks remain; the bananas should be essentially liquid. (You will have between 1 cup and 1 1/4 cup.)
- Stir in the vanilla, if using. Add the oats and stir them in. Stir in the salt, dates, and nuts. Pat the thick mixture evenly into the baking pan. If desired, sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges just begin to crisp up. Place the baking pan on a rack to cool.
- When the pan is mostly cool, cut into bars and enjoy with a glass of milk or tea.
- Store leftover bars at room temperature. They will keep for about 5 days.
31. Kale and Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito
via Veggie Fixation
Sweet Potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates. Combined with a super food like Kale, this one will definitely make you healthy in the morning.
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 Cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 Cup cooked lentils
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite herb blend (rosemary, basil, thyme, etc)
- 1 small avocado, or 1/4 Cup hummus
- 2 brown rice tortillas
- In a large sauce pan fitted with a steamer basket, arrange sweet potatoes. Steam, covered, over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Add kale.
- Steam another 3 -5 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Mix in kale and sweet potatoes. This is your filling.
- Heat brown rice tortillas, one at a time, in a skillet, or toaster oven, just long enough for it to become warm and pliable, but not crispy or crunchy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board or large plate.
- Spread 1/2 of the avocado over the tortilla, smashing to distribute evenly. If desired, sprinkle with salt or spritz with lemon juice. Alternately, spread half of the hummus in the same manner. Or, if you really want to shake things up, use hummus and avocado!
- Spoon about 1 cup of the filling near the bottom center of the tortilla, allowing about an inch from the edge.
- Fold the sides in, then roll tightly from the bottom up, pushing in any filling that tries to escape.
- With the flap facing down, cut the wrap on an angle. Repeat the whole process with the second tortilla. Arrange on plates and serve.
32. PB + J Yogurt
via Skinny Taste
Probably one of the simplest recipes in our list. This makes use of everyone’s favorite peanut butter and jelly mix.
- 6 oz fat free plain Chobani
- 4 tsp reduced sugar grape jelly
- 2 tbsp red seedless grapes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 tsp unsalted peanuts
- Place the yogurt in a bowl. Top with jelly, then peanut butter.
- Sprinkle peanuts and grapes and grab a spoon!
33. Banana Peanut Butter Chia Seed Pudding
The thing about chia seeds is that you can mix them virtually with any other sweet ingredient and it will come out just fine.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a blender, puree the banana, milk and peanut butter. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the chia seeds.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Stir the mixture before serving.
34. Mocha-Banana Breakfast Smoothie
Coffee lovers out there will appreciate this little dish of surprises.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup almond milk, divided
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 cup ice
- In small bowl or jar, stir together oats and 1 cup almond milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In blender, combine oat mixture, remaining 1/2 cup almond milk, banana, yogurt, cocoa powder and espresso powder and blend until smooth. Add ice and blend until smooth.
35. Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
This can’t get any vegan than it already sounds.
- 1 English muffin
- 2 Tbsp soy vegan sausage, pressed into a round patty
- 3 thin slices of bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegan shredded cheese,
- 1 tsp harissa or hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup or jam (berry is best!)
- pinch of black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil for coating patty
- other optional toppings: greens like spinach, sliced mushrooms…
- Grab all you ingredients out of the fridge. Stick your English muffin – uncut under the grill press for 45 seconds while you arrange your ingredients.
- Slice off 2 Tbsp of the vegan sausage (you know the kind that comes in the thick tube) and hand-press a nice patty. If you are feeling really adventurous, you can even press some diced onion into the patty as well.
- Rub the paty in a very light amount of EVOO and place it on the heated grill. Remove your English muffins and press the panini grill shut – or cover your stove top skillet with a heavy spatula or foil. You want it to cool through in just under 2 minutes.
- Thinner patties cook in a flash. Slice open your English Muffin and place the open faced ends back on the grill while you prep your veggies. Rub some sliced pepper in a bit of EVOO and place it on the grill as well.
- Close panini lid and allow the vegan sausage, peppers and bread to grill for another minute. After a minute, lift lid and observe doneness. Pull anything that looks very done. Otherwise turn off panini press and close to keep heated.
- Grab your cheese and sprinkle it right over top the patties – still on grill. Then place the sizzling hot peppers right on top of the cheese so that it creates a hot barrier – and close the panini press one more time. Yes, the panini press/grill is on off – but there will be enough heat from the grill and peppers to melt the cheese.
- Grab your English Muffin and spread 1 tsp buttery spread on one side – the maple syrup and/or jam on the other.
- Start building your sandwich: Muffin, patty (with cheese and peppers), layer your fresh spinach on top of that (and optional harissa) then close with top half of muffin. Slice. Serve!
The list we prepared are catered to those who simply want a grab-n-go kind of deal with breakfast. You can choose to prepare them the night before or take them to work with you. They’re amazing simple to make and most barely take more than 5 minutes to concoct. What’s better is that they’re all healthy and will give you more than a boost throughout your day.
If you tried a few of our select samples, do give us a feedback in the comments section.