Burn After Reading: Fat Burning Breakfast Ideas
Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism – yes, we know that! But did you also know certain fat burning breakfast choices can crank up your ability to burn fat faster than Charlie Sheen can say “winning” after 3 lines of coke.
The Key To Good A.M. Food Choices
To keep innovating with your breakfast choices while ensuring they remain fat-buster friendly simply pick foods that are high in Resistant Starch (RS). Resistant starch isn’t anything fancy, I promise. It’s simply a type of “healthy” starch that is digested at a slower rate and so they cause a slower rise in blood sugar. They are often even classified as fiber. You can easily find fat burning breakfast foods that are high in resistant starch. Some common choices for breakfast include bananas that are slightly green, oats, barley and wholegrain bread.
Fat Burning Breakfast Recipes
Stuck for ideas and not really sure where to start? I’ve got some great tips to help you turbo charge your A.M meal with ingredients that have no mercy for the fat cells and oh-so-good for your taste buds.
Rye Bread With Cottage Cheese and Avocado
This is one of my “special” breakfast favorites. It looks so fancy but its incredibly simple.
- Slices of rye bread
- Low fat cottage cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Slice up avocado and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Toast bread to your liking
- Spread 1 tbsp of cottage cheese on each slice of bride
- Top with avocado and cherry tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper.
I made this breakfast for the boyfriend on Christmas day and to add an extra touch of special I also made some poached eggs, sauteed mushrooms and smoked salmons to add an extra bit of yum to breakfast without giving in to the unhealthy side.
Blueberry Oat Pancakes With Maple Yogurt
A breakfast menu without pancakes is just wrong. But who said pancakes have to be bad for you?
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plain Greek-style low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a food processor or blender, combine cottage cheese, oats, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the blueberries
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with oil.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the batter to skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface (about 2 – 3 minutes). Then turn to cook the other side until golden.
- Combine the yogurt and maple syrup and pour over pancakes. Eat 🙂
Recipe and image source: Health.com
Light Summer Porridge
Another great fat burning breakfast choice is porridge. This one’s particularly good for work days when you don’t have all the time in the world for breakfast. This new age porridge will take you just about 10 minutes to get ready. Ingredients
- 500ml almond milk
- 1 red apple (finely chopped)
- 100g quinoa flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp toasted shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted almonds and pistachios
- Combine almond milk, quinoa and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to the boil on stovetop.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is soft and smooth.
- Top with apple, nuts and coconut to serve.
Wholemeal Toast With Peanut Butter and Bananas
This is another weekday favorite of mine because it’s so quick and easy and perfect for those days when you wake up bleary-eyed and would rather skip breakfast. Don’t! Make this instead.
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 banana
- Toast the bread to your liking.
- Spread 1 tbsp peanut butter on toast.
- Slice up the banana and top the toast
- Drizzle with honey before eating
Fat Burning Smoothies
When I know I have a super early morning coming up, I often try to prep my breakfast the night before. Naturally pre-making toast is a bad idea so I stick to smoothies. One of my favourite healthy fat burning breakfast smoothies is this super awesome Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie.
- ½ cup skim or soy milk
- 6 oz (80-calorie) vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (MUFA)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Handful of ice OR 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Combine milk, yogurt, chocolate chips, and fresh raspberries plus ice OR frozen raspberries in a blender.
- Blend for 1 minute
- Transfer to a glass, and eat with a spoon.
Early Morning Acai Bowl
The purple Brazilian berry is a controversial superfood thanks to so many scams.. But forget about the scams and trust me – acai is so very good for you! To be honest, an acai bowl is an anytime meal for me not just for breakfast but it’s particularly good as a fat burning breakfast.
- 1 sachet frozen acai (available at health food stores)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup orange-mango juice
- Your choice of berries and fruit to top with it
- Blend together frozen acai, banana and juice until it loses its frozen texture and is like a thick liquid.
- Slice up fruit such as strawberries, blueberries and mango to top with. Eat with a spoon.
I’ll be honest, I’ve only recently started eating barley. I’ve been told of its fat burning properties forever but you know, so many good things to eat, so little time! But here we go – another recipe rich in resistant starch.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted salted sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- Combine the water and barley in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Top with banana slices, sunflower seeds, and honey.
So there you go, you’re armed with recipes, easy to make and high in fat burning properties. So don’t skip breakfast. Simply make the smart morning choice and ramp up that metabolism to keep you going for the day.