What is The Best Multivitamin on The Market?
There are numerous good reasons why you should take a multivitamin. The fact is, whether it be down to strict dieting, poor food choices or food allergy restrictions, most Americans tend to fall short of the essential nutrients they need daily.
Taking a one-a-day multivitamin supplement is a quick and easy way to ensure you are filling all of those nutritional gaps. But what is the best multivitamin on the market and how do you choose a supplement? Read on to find out.
What is A Multivitamin Supplement?
A multivitamin is an easy one-a-day tablet or liquid which includes all of the essential micronutrients. You need around 13 essential vitamins according to a report from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Unfortunately, most Americans are seriously lacking in some of these super important micronutrients. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines states that calcium, potassium, vitamin D and dietary fiber are all at risk when it comes to inadequate intake in both adults and children in the US. A multivitamin should ensure you reach the recommended daily value (RDV) of all key nutrients needed for optimum health.
Although research is contradictory in regards to whether using multivitamins actually keeps disease at bay, many people feel better protected by taking a supplement along with a balanced diet. The U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells us that more than 50% of Americans use dietary supplements with multivitamins being the most popular.
What To Look For When Buying Multivitamins
A trip down to the multivitamin aisle at your local health food store can seem like a pop quiz you didn’t prepare for. With such an array of choices, you’ll find yourself asking should I take a multi just for women? What is biotin? Do I need iron or vitamin D or both? Soon enough, what should have been a simple and quick purchase turns into a major headache.
So to help you out, here are a few things to consider when buying your next multivitamin.
- Always Read The Label - The label will specify exactly which ingredients are included as well as the percentage of RDV (recommended daily value) for each ingredient. It is important to understand exactly what is inside a product you intend to ingest, especially on a long term basis.
- Include The Basics - Make sure you get a supplement that includes a minimum of the 13 essential vitamins and 11 essential minerals: vitamin C, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 ( niacin), B6, folic acid (B9), B12, B5 (pantothenic acid), biotin, A, E, D2 or D3 ( cholecalciferol), K, potassium, iodine, selenium, borate, zinc, calcium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, beta carotene, and iron.
- Check Percentages - You should ensure that all of the ingredients are as close to 100% of your RDV as possible. However, some minerals like calcium will never be at 100% as the pill would simply be too large to swallow.
- Check Who It’s For - There are multivitamin formulas designed specifically for men, women and particular age groups. As we get older, our nutritional needs change. It is always a good idea to buy a formula specifically for your age and gender to ensure you are getting everything you need.
- Check The Extras - Gone are the days of basic vitamins and minerals. Now many supplements contain extra ingredients such as antioxidants. If you don’t know what the ingredients are or what they do, steer clear. But in other cases such as pregnancy, opting for a prenatal blend with extras tailored specifically for mommy-to-be, these can be a great option.
- Stick to The Instructions - There’s no need to over do it when it comes to multivitamins. As most ingredients will be offering 100% of your RDV, ensure to take them as directed by the label. There is such a thing as vitamin overdose and it’s something to be avoided.
What Are The Best Multivitamins?
I’ve taken a look at the multivitamins currently available on the market and have rounded up the top 5. I’ve tried to find options which cover all genders and ages to make sure there’s something to suit everyone. All of these multivitamins get a very high rating. I’d say they’re are the creme de la creme of vitamin supplements across the board.
When it comes to multivitamin supplements, I hope that I’ve shared something for everyone in this post. If I had to pick one to recommend, it would be the Centrum Adult Multivitamin as it will suit most adults.
If you are looking for a multivitamin to aid a more specific problem, we have also covered many topics like multivitamins for hair and hair loss and multivitamins to give you energy, plus many more which you can find on our multivitamin hub page.
Of course, if there is any other specific benefits of multivitamins you would like us to research, leave us a comment below and I will do my best to cover the topic.