What Are The Best Digestive Enzymes for Bloating & Gas?
Occasional bouts of gas and bloating are considered normal experiences for most of us. However, they can be indicative of a shortage of digestive enzymes.
When we have enough of them, we usually avoid digestive discomfort.
If you're walking around with daily discomfort, then you need to do something to restore balance to your gut.
Why Do You Need an Enzyme Supplement?
Food is fuel for our bodies, and enzymes help us use that fuel more efficiently. Let's pretend that you want to eat an apple. In your mind, an apple is food. However, your body can't really do anything with an apple.
It can, however, use the nutrients that an apple contains. In order to get to them, your body needs to break apart that apple at the cellular level. Your body does this through the use of pancreatic and intestinal enzymes.
Unfortunately, many of us make lifestyle choices that inhibit the production of these enzymes. Poor dietary choices and stress will lead to inflammation in your digestive tract.
This inflammation interferes with your body's ability to make enzymes. Without enough of them, your body can't absorb the nutrients from your food.
Adopting a healthier lifestyle will help to restore your enzyme levels back to normal. However, you can accelerate that process by using enzyme supplements.
What are the Advantages of Using Them?
Different enzymes are responsible for breaking down different food molecules. When you don't have enough of them, your body reacts and different symptoms begin to surface. Supplemental digestive enzymes will alleviate those symptoms.
- Reduces Digestive Discomfort - When you lack the necessary enzymes to break down food, it sits in your digestive tract. Food that sits in your stomach or intestines too long has time to decay or create gas. Neither one of these experiences is very pleasant.
Supplemental enzymes will definitely reverse these uncomfortable symptoms. Taking a pepsin supplement, for example, will enable your stomach to break down proteins into smaller proteins called peptides. The smaller proteins will be able to move from your stomach to your small intestine.
Likewise, taking a supplement with the right amount of amylase, protease, and lipase will help your body to break down foods into nutrients. This enables your body to absorb them before gas-inducing bacteria has a chance to create problems.
- Improves Energy Levels - In a nutshell, digestion is the process of converting food into energy for your body. Oddly enough, digestion requires a lot of energy. When enzymes are lacking, your body has to work harder to break down and absorb nutrients. This often results in physical and mental fatigue.
Supplemental enzymes will take some of the stress off your digestive tract. With less energy going toward digestion, your body can devote more to other systems. As a result, you will have more energy to devote to day-to-day tasks. Likewise, you'll improve your ability to concentrate.
- Reduces Allergies - Our bodies have a multitude of defences in place for keeping out foreign invaders. Believe it or not, our bodies put food into that category.
Thankfully, digestive enzymes break our food down into chemicals our bodies can recognise. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen very well if we're enzyme-deficient. If large protein molecules from food are allowed to enter our bloodstreams, then allergic reactions occur.
Swelling, itching, and other allergy-related symptoms will improve with the use of enzyme supplements. They will break foods down into molecules that are small enough for our bodies to use. Those molecules will be small enough to enter our bloodstreams without alarming our immune systems.
How Can You Choose the Right One?
In the world of health supplements, all things are not created equal. If you pay attention to the following details, then you will be able to find a quality enzyme supplement:
- Product Reputation - Take some time to research multiple brands of enzyme supplements. Eliminate the ones with too many negative reviews, and focus on the ones with strong reputations.
- Ingredients - Stay away from any enzyme supplement that contains artificial colors, fillers or allergy-inducing fillers. These additives will likely do more harm than good.
- Enzymes Included - Digestive enzymes can be broken into three primary groups: amylase, lipase and protease. Amylases are responsible for breaking down carbohydrates. Lipases break down fats. Proteases break down proteins.
If you want an enzyme supplement that addresses a wider range of digestive issues, then you need to look for products that contain all three of these enzymes.
- Strength Numbers - Enzyme supplements are not measured by milligrams. They are measured by potency. When shopping for a product, cross anything off your list that measures in milligrams. Those supplements are worthless.
Are There Any Downsides to Taking Digestive Enzymes?
Digestive enzyme supplements are not harmful to your health. Nevertheless, there are a couple of downsides to taking them.
- Waste of Money - High-quality enzyme supplements will do what they promise to do. The same cannot be said for grocery store brands and other low-end options. With the latter, you'll get what you pay for.
- Becoming Dependent - Problems surface when we become overly-dependent on supplements for our digestive health. If supplements are used for prolonged periods of time, then our bodies will grow accustomed to producing lower levels of enzymes. Ironically, this is counterproductive to our digestive health
The Best Digesting Enzymes For Bloating & Gas
There are currently hundreds of enzyme supplements on the market. In order to help you weave through the junk, I'm giving you some details on 5 popular products.