What Are The Best Apple Cider Vinegar Brands on The Market in 2017?
If you’ve done any research on apple cider vinegar, you may be familiar with the impressive range of health benefits that it’s believed to provide. Killing bacteria, aiding weight loss, and fighting diabetes are just a few of the things people claim this vinegar is capable of.
There are countless apple cider vinegar brands out there. Enough to make your head spin! In this article, we’ll explore the potential benefits and point you in the direction of the best apple cider vinegar brands on the shelves right now.
Health Advantages of Apple Cider Vinegar
For over 2,000 years, people have claimed apple cider vinegar to be the cure-all for everything from bouts of coughing to speeding up the healing of external wounds. (source) Scientific investigations do not support the use of any vinegar as an anti-infective agent whether used topically or orally. That said, there are still ways vinegar can be beneficial to your well-being. (source)
Let’s take a closer look at what a spoonful or two of apple cider vinegar a day can do for you.
- Weight Loss: Although more testing needs to be done, researchers suggest high potency apple cider vinegar can assist with weight loss over time. Researchers believe the vinegar may turn on certain genes in your body that are involved in breaking down fats. (source)
- Diabetes and Blood Sugar Control: Apple cider vinegar has anti-glycemic properties. It works to block the digestion of certain starches which can raise blood sugar. ACV can slow the progression of diabetes making it especially beneficial for insulin-resistant patients. (source)
- Digestive Issues: Unfiltered apple cider vinegar can leave undigested starches in your stomach. While this may not seem like a good thing, it is. The remaining carbohydrates act as food for probiotics (good bacteria) in your gut.
To find out more surprising uses for apple cider vinegar, check out this YouTube video:
What Should You Look for in the Best Apple Cider Vinegar Brands?
There are a few things that set the best apple cider vinegar brands apart from the rest. Here we’ll discuss a few things you should be on the lookout for.
When searching for an apple cider vinegar, an unfiltered version is preferred, in particular for treating digestive problems. You should be able to see a cloudy mass floating in the bottle with the best brands of apple cider vinegar.
This mass is what is often referred to as a ‘mother.’ The mother is packed with probiotics and other beneficial bacteria that are good for both digestion and immune system support. (source)
Choosing an apple cider vinegar that has gone through the pasteurization process is ideal for getting the best results. The process of pasteurization destroys pathogenic microorganisms by reaching temperatures of at least 135 degrees Fahrenheit in the United States. (source)
However, this heating process has no way of identifying only the pathogenic (bad) bacteria and can kill the probiotic (good) microorganisms as well. Probiotic stability can decline when held at temperatures of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. (source) If you’re not particularly in need of the probiotic benefits of apple cider vinegar and have other reasons for using it, a pasteurized brand is a good choice.
Due to the high acidity levels of apple cider vinegar, a glass bottle is best. Plastic bottles have the potential to break down over time. If the ACV that you want is stored in a plastic container, be sure that it is USDA (US Department of Agriculture) food grade safe.
The bottle should also be BPA and phthalate free. The Federal Drug Administration has expressed concerns over BPA and its potential effects on the brain, behavior and prostate. (source) There is also concern regarding phthalates, their toxicity, and the risks they may pose to humans. (source)
Tips on How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can be helpful to your body in many ways. However, taking it the wrong way can lead to an unpleasant experience. Use the following tips to put you on the right course.
- Dilute it. A good mixture should be somewhere between 1-2 tablespoons per 8 ounces of water.
- Use a straw. A straw will allow you to consume the vinegar while bypassing as many taste buds as possible.
- Sip it. Slowing drinking ACV with a meal twice a day will give you the best results.
- For best results, shake before use to distribute the mother.
The Best Apple Cider Vinegar Brands Reviewed
After careful consideration, I’ve chosen Viva Naturals as the best apple cider vinegar brand. It has everything you could want or need in one shot. It’s made from eco-friendly sustainable, certified organic raw apples. The strong Mother of vinegar is ideal for everything from aiding with digestive issues to boosting your immune system.
It will be interesting to see where the company goes over the course of the year. My guess is only upwards.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to determine which version of apple cider vinegar will be best for your body and budget. Hopefully, with the help of this guide, you’re one step closer to making your final decision.