Adonis Golden Ratio Review: Does it help you build an immaculate body?
We men are pretty vain creatures, no matter how much we insist to the contrary. When at the gym, we spend almost as much time checking our muscles out in the mirror as we do lifting weights. We love the way our muscles look, and work hard to give the muscles the “ideal” shape.
According to the Adonis Golden Ratio program, it’s possible to get the “perfect masculine physique” using the diet and exercise tricks taught in the book. Is it realistic? This Adonis Golden Ratio Review takes a look under the hood to find out if the program delivers…
What is Adonis Golden Ratio?
The Adonis Golden Ratio program is designed to help men get the “perfect” physique. The term “perfection” is defined by the Adonis Golden Ratio as a formula for the body shape that will be most subconsciously attractive to women. It sounds like a fascinating concept, but I’m a bit hesitant to accept it.
The Minds Behind Adonis Golden Ratio: John Barban and Kyle Leon
According to John Barban’s official website:
“My formal education background is a Masters In Human Biology and Nutrition from U of Guelph, where I spent 3 years as a varsity strength and conditioning coach for the ice hockey team. I did further graduate research and taught exercise physiology at the University of Florida. I’ve taken a bunch of personal training certifications, all the usual ones such as the NSCA CSCS, ACE PT, CSEP, etc.”
He has worked with or taken part in the creation of brands such as:
- BlueStar Nutraceuticals
- Empowered Nutrition Products
He is a fitness trainer that markets fitness products, and has definitely become well-known thanks to the projects on which he has put his name.
He is a nutrition specialist, a personal trainer, and a fitness model – having appeared on the covers of a number of fitness magazines. He also serves on the fitness advisory board at BioTrust Nutrition, and acts as a spokesperson and senior product development consultant at a company named Blue Star Nutraceuticals.
Of course, if you Google “Kyle Leon” or “Kyle Leon bio”, you find very little information on him.
A Look at the “Adonis Golden Ratio” Package
Upon purchasing the Adonis Golden Ratio package–which costs you a cool $47–you are sent a ZIP folder with 9 PDF files.
The Adonis Effect Index Manual
This book is the intro to the Adonis Golden Ratio program, and it gets you started down the road to “perfection”.
It starts out by explaining what the “Adonis Golden Ratio” is, detailing how women of different ages and from different parts of the world will find the same body attractive. According to the book, anthropologists have been searching for the reason behind this perception of attraction for “years”, and it is a mathematical equation that governs this law of attraction.
The mathematical equation is called the Golden Ratio. The Golden Ratio is 1:1.618.
What does this mean? Well, according to the example cited in the book, the distance between your head and your navel is 1:1.618 of the distance from your head to the tips of your fingers.
The Golden Ratio was used by artists like Leonardo da Vinci and architects like Le Corbusier to define the ideal male body. Sculptures were created according to these measurements, and it is these measurements that women find most attractive.
The purpose of the Adonis Golden Ratio books is to help you achieve that “perfect” ratio of broad shoulders, defined chest, a tight waist, and well-defined arm and leg muscles.
The book goes on to list the benefits of being attractive (a very shallow concept, in my opinion), including:
- An easier time getting a job
- Being happier
- Attracting more women
- People’s perception of you changes
The Three Adonis Index Nutrition Programs
The book lists the three different programs used in the Adonis Golden Ratio package:
- Burn — The focus of this program is on burning fat to the extreme, helping those that are very overweight to lose weight and getting in good shape.
- Build and Burn — For those who need to tighten up their muscles and get rid of those last few pounds of fat, this is the option for them. Lean muscle is built, and maximum fat is burned.
- Build –– This program focuses on those that need to pack on the pounds of muscles, essentially hardgainers. It aims to promote a high-calorie diet and fitness program that builds muscle mass.
Calculating Your “Perfect” Body Size
The next section of the book helps you calculate what your current body ratio is, as well as which program you are supposed to use. This is where things get a bit complicated.
First, you use the equation provided in the book to help you figure out what your current waist to shoulder ratio is. Then, you look through the charts to see which of the three programs you will use. You have to find your waist ratio on the three charts, matching your height.
I am 6′ 6.
- If my ratio is between 35.1 and 36.6, I would be on the BUILD program
- If my ratio is between 37.44 and 39.78, I would be on the BUILD & BURN program
- If my ratio is between 40.56 and 43.68, I would be on the BURN program
Once you find your place on the chart, you have to choose the proper program according to your height. Each of the three programs come with three options, each for a different height class.
- Option 1 is for those shorter than 5′ 7″
- Option 2 is for those between 5′ 8″ and 6′
- Option 3 is for those taller than 6′ 1″
Complicated, right? I know it took me a while to wrap my head around it, and it may take you a few minutes of careful reading to figure out which program you belong in.
The Adonis Golden Ratio Workout
The workout program detailed in this program was actually quite an interesting, unique one that fascinated me.
The workout is basically divided up into four rep ranges:
- 5 reps of very heavy weights
- 8 reps of heavy weights
- 13 reps of moderate weights
- 21 reps of light weights
This comes from the Fibonacci number, which is supposed to be the perfect number sequence. Basically, each number is the sum of the two numbers before it.
The sequence of numbers is as follows:
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144…
The workout uses these numbers as the “perfect” number of reps for your workouts, though why they’re ideal is left unexplained.
While studying for my Certification as a Professional Trainer with The National Federation of Professional Trainers, I came across this information:
- White slow twitch motor unit failure is achieved through the 4 to 6 rep range. These are the muscle fibers that expand, and they are the ones that give you noticeable muscle definition.
- Red slow twitch motor unit failure occurs in the 12 to 15 rep range. These are the muscle fibers that give you stamina and strength and some definition.
- Red fast twitch motor unit failure occurs in the 20 to 25 rep range. These are the muscle fibers that give you endurance.
The Adonis Golden Ratio workouts mostly fall into this rep range, but the 8-rep workout plan will not engage either the white or red slow twitch motor units properly–meaning less definition and growth for both of those muscle units.
There are some tips to help you complete your workout properly, and you’ll find that you can get started with the workouts easily.
Inside the Programs
Each of the three programs–BURN, BUILD, and BURN & BUILD–is designed almost exactly the same, with identical structure and content.
The Workout Manual
Each program comes with its own workout manual, complete with:
- A list of exercises to do with each workout
- A weightlifting workout to do 4 days of the week
- A cardio intervals workout to do 2 days of the week
- Advice on how many reps to do per workout, depending on the cycle you are going through
- Three cycles–Growth, Lean Muscle, Definition–each lasting 4 weeks
It’s a nice, complete fitness program, and you’ll find that it takes the mystery out of your daily gym session. Just print out the PDF file, and take it with you to the gym to know EXACTLY what to do and how many times to do it.
The Diet Guide
All three programs come with a diet guide to help take the mystery from how and what to eat.
Right off the bat, you get three nifty tips to get you started:
3 Simple Rules to Live by:
- Eat breakfast no more than 30 minutes after waking up
- Eat every 3 to 5 hours
- Eat your largest meal or have a protein shake immediately after working out
The first half of the book is dedicated to a complete meal plan consisting of 56 days’ worth of menus. The recipes are all incredibly simple, but are definitely delicious. You’ll find that they all use ingredients that you can find anywhere, and anyone can prepare them no matter how limited your skills in the kitchen may be!
The book gives you a long grocery list, complete with everything that you will need to prepare the meals on the menu. It even breaks down the grocery list by week, so you can know exactly what to get and when. Definitely taking the mystery out of the whole process!
The book has you list the things that motivate you to get in shape, and it’s sort of a fitness journal that you can fill out as you go. There’s a whole section dedicated to helping you find your motivation, and the content is very inspiring and positive.
One very important section is the Big Goals and Small Goals section. All of us set big goals, but it’s often hard to reach the big goals because they’re just so big. The ebook helps you to break it down into small, attainable goals, making it easier for you to work towards that large, overreaching goal.
The 10 Steps for Success
We can’t give you all 10 steps, but here are a few:
- Track your success
- Use “Before” and “After” photos
- Plan ahead
- Reduce temptation
The tips given are simple and easy to follow, but they’ll help keep you on track to your fitness goals.
The World’s Most Popular Diets
This is an interesting section of the book, as it takes a look at popular diets like:
- ZERO Diet
- Atkins Diet
- Low Carb Diet
- VLCD Diets
It explains why these diets don’t work, and how you can get better results via the Adonis Golden Ratio program.
The books provide a lot of useful information, such as:
- The science of how fats, protein, and carbs are digested and used by your body
- The truth behind good and bad fats
- How water, vitamins, and minerals play a vital role in your health
- How insulin and glucagon affect your blood sugar levels
- How fat affects your appetite hormones
- Tips and tricks for cooking
- and much more…
Truth be told, the Adonis Golden Ratio program is fairly complete and comprehensive!
What We Think of the Adonis Golden Ratio Program
I was a bit skeptical when I started reading the program, but at the completion of my review, I find myself with a much more positive outlook on Adonis Golden Ratio. While there are a few things that I’m not sold on, overall the program looks like one that is worth the cost.
We’re Not Fond Of:
- The complicated program. It took me a while to figure out the program, and it’s fairly complicated to understand until you go over it a few times. For those who want a quick-fix program, this one definitely takes a lot more reading to understand.
- Lack of explanation of the Adonis Golden Ratio. Why is the program laid out the way it is? The diet plan is made clear, but the workout isn’t as clear. There’s no explanation as to why the specific number of reps were chosen, and there could be a bit more information as to why the program helps to build the “ideal” body.
- The complete information. The Adonis Golden Ratio program takes you from start to finish, and you get all the help you need in every area of your life. From diet to workout to lifestyle, this is a complete program.
- Comprehensive program. You have a diet menu with 56 days of 6 meals, plus a 12-week workout program with 6 days of workouts per week. That’s a lot of comprehensive information laid out and easy for you to absorb.
All in all, the Adonis Golden Ratio program seems to be a decent program. Considering that it’s just $37 for a complete lifestyle guide, it’s worth it.
Final Verdict: 4 Stars